7 Helpful Tips to Prevent Fires from Alternative Heating Sources
It’s that time of the year! A heater is the only resource to take the chill off an apartment. But the flow of warm air can become a dangerous and damaging device if it’s left unattended of being misused. People tend to find their own ways of heating up their place, such as using kitchen stoves or ovens to stay warm. This unorthodox ideas could lead to accidents or damage to the property, it is strongly recommended to follow the tips to obtain the same outcome without putting property/life at risk.
The American Red Cross offers these tips to help prevent a home fire from alternate heating sources:
- Keep all potential sources of fuel like paper, clothing, bedding or rugs at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, or fireplaces.
- Portable heaters and fireplaces should never be left unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure any embers in the fireplace are extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- When buying a space heater, look for models that shut off automatically if the heater falls over as another safety measure.
- Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
- Keep fire in your fireplace by using a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned once a year.